Friday, December 21, 2012

The Joy of Celebrating Christmas

There is such a joy when that week before Christmas day comes around. This is especially true when you are with family and friends who have the same view about Christmas as you - that it is celebrating the birth of Christ, our saviour!

My family and I are away from home now, and spending a few weeks at my husband's parents house. They are, as far as I am concerned, my parents as well (not to say that my real parents aren't :P).

It is such a breath of fresh air to come here and have our beliefs and views out in the open, not in hiding. Our way of life is not questioned, but instead, it is embraced. We are not looked down upon, or made fun of behind our backs. They are uplifting and encouraging, and are more than supportive.

When we go to my parents house, it is a challenge to be who we are. Before I accepted Christ last November, I was a completely different person. Now that I've changed and am growing into a different woman, (a woman striving to be Christ-like!) I am no longer the same person they once knew. I don't partake in the drinking, or the swearing, or the watching of bad movies, or the reading bad books, and so on. I never had to have a guard over my tongue.

Needless to say, I am now completely relaxed and am completely happy. I do get sad, however, on the drive to my parents house for a number of reasons... But that is for another post.

The joy of celebrating Christmas - and the fact that we are celebrating the TRUE meaning of Christmas, and not just the materialistic part, is what brings so much joy at this time of year. If you haven't celebrated the birth of Christ with other people at Christmas time, you don't know what kind of joy you're missing! It really is a true celebration.

It reminds me of that Christmas song, "Mary's Boy Child", my favourite version sung by Boney M.

"Hark now hear, the angels sing, the King was born today... And man will live for evermore, because of Christmas Day!"

Amazing feeling!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please, let me know what you think!